Tuesday 16 May 2023

My first play with acrylic paints to alter a metal tin



Today is drawing day 2023 So I thought it was the perfect time to give these Nova paint pens from DRK Crafts a go to decorate this tin. I have to say it was a lot of fun to give something new a go. I got the pack of 15 and there is a great mix of colours in it. I plan to do more of these tins to maybe make some collections of card to give friends as gifts.

To get these pens going you need to give them a good shake and then sort of pump the nib up and down holding the pen upright on a bit of scrap paper to get the paint flowing.

I have made a little video of me starting this box off. I didn't film the whole thing just a little bit to show you how well they were working for me. I really did find that they flowed so well. 


I learned some thing while making this. 
1. If you make a mistake on the metal you can just scratch it off when it is dry and start again. No one will ever know. Don't worry you can heat set the paint by following the instructions on the packet when you are happy with what you have done.
2. If you want to blend and bleed your colours into one another add them while they are both wet.
3. If you do not want the colours to mix together then wait until the first layer is dry before adding the second layer.


I love how gold the gold pen is in this set and for those of us that colour stamped images and that sort of thing I will definitely be using the silver and gold pens in this set for things like buckles and jewellery as they are also great on paper and card. 


  I am entering this altered tin for the following challenges:

Crafting from the heart - Anything but a card
Get creative challenges - Flower frenzy

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog.

Huge hugs

Amy xx


3 comments:

  1. What fun you must have had with these pens Amy - and a wonderful result on the tin! Thanks for your tips on using them
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like to learn something new , and for all the times I've used acrylic paints I never thought to use them on tins! So pretty. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting from the Heart XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tin looks amazing! Well done! Thank you for sharing your talent with us at Crafting Happiness Challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment.

Huge hugs
Amy xx